Sunday, 14 July, 2024

Nepal Police Club registers 2-1 win over Sankata Club


By A Staff Reporter
Kathmandu, Jan. 1: Tribhuvan Army Club eased past Three Star Club 2-0 to elevate at the third spot while Nepal Police Club registered 2-1 win over Sankata Club to climb at the fifth position at the Martyr’s Memorial A Division League Football played at the ANFA Complex, Satdobato, Lalitpur on Wednesday.
The second half goals from Santosh Tamang and Nawayug Shrestha guided the Army to their third win. With nine points Army climbed to the third position.
Leader Manang Marsyangdi Club have ten points while second place Machhindra Club also have nine points but are superior in goal difference than Army.
After tasting the first defeat, Three Star Club slipped to sixth position with seven points from two wins, one defeat and one draw.
Nepal Police, who also have seven points from today’s victory, finished at the fifth position in better goal margin. Suman Lama and an own goal from Sankata guided Nepal Police to their second win at the league. Following their second defeat at league, Sankata are at the 10th position with four points.
In the first match of the day, Police took the lead from an own goal from Sankata’s Amit Tamang in the 15th minute. Tamang netted the while trying to clear the ball off Suman. Three minutes later, Sankata bounced back in the game after restoring the parity from the spot kick. Referee awarded Sankata the penalty after Ajit Bhandari handled the ball inside the box. Tamang took the opportunity to amend his mistake soon and coolly converted the spot kick for the equalizer in the 18th minute.
In the 33rd minute Police regained their lead from the goal of Lama. In the cross off Prabesh Kunwar, Lama beat Sankata custodian Binaya Shrestha in one-to-one situation and slotted the ball into the post.
After the win, Police Coach Ananta Thapa said the timely goal helped them ease to victory. “We were under pressure when the score line was 1-1 draw. But we marked them well and the win came easily.”
“We do not take them lightly as Sankata’s players are physically stronger than us”, added Thapa.
Sankata Coach Bijaya Maharjan said that the result was unexpected and the match was worst off four games they played till now in the league. “My players could not play to their standard. It looked like they are in mental pressure. Besides, the foreign recruits also could not deliver their game.” We needed win but Police played well, said Maharjan.
In the second match of the day, Army were in front in the 54th minute from the goal of striker Shrestha. Army Captain Bharat Khawas provided the cross from the box and Shrestha volleyed it into the back of the net.
Midfielder Tamang made an impressive return to the league after facing a 45-days ban. He doubled the advantage of Army in the 79th minute as his 25-yard free kick gets inside of Three Star post from the right top corner. Tamang missed three games from the ban.
Three Star got the chance to cut the deficit from the penalty in the injury time but Rupesh KC’s strike to the left was denied by Army goalie Bikesh Kuthu. After making a diving save to the penalty, Kuthu again survived the scare from the attempt of Sushil Rai to the rebound ball.
Army Coach Nabin Neupani expressed his satisfaction to win the important three points. “Today’s three point is an important achievement to the title race.”
He added that the physical fitness of his players was also an advantage over their opponent. “Though we utilized the second half, my boys missed many chances in the first half. The comeback of Santosh also became good. He is an important asset of our team.”
After the first loss, Three Star Coach Megh Raj KC admitted that his players could not play against Army men. “We could not match our pace with Army. The forward lines are toothless today. Moreover, the absence of captain Bikram Lama was also felt. We struggled in his absence.”
Anant Tamang was stand-in captain for Three Star after Bikram received yellow cards in previous two matches.